Our Story

 

In the beginning...

St. Hilary’s Cooksville was established on January 1st 1955 in the Anglican Diocese of Toronto. Within six months of being appointed, The Rev’d David Lemmon generated enough interest from the community for a hundred and twenty-nine people to attend the first service held in a portable  on January 9th 1955. The cornerstone of the present building was laid by Bishop George Snell November 17th, 1957. The first service in the present building was held on Palm Sunday, 1958 when twenty-nine candidates were presented for Confirmation.

St. Hilary's went through a significant renovation in 1993 to launch the St. Hilary's Daycare as an outreach to the community. The Chancel was shortened, the baptistery expanded, and a meeting space called the McCauley Room was created.

The nave boasts a collection of stained glass windows designed and made by Canaidan sculptor Bill McElcheran.  McElcheran, who died in 1999, is most famous for his sculptures that express the motif of "bussiness men" on the move.  His work is featured in Toronto, Guelph, Windsor and Calgary.  His work was described as "the architecture of celebration".

The St. Hilary's Gardens were established in the '90's to provide a space for the community to enjoy God's creation, and to preserve some of the history of the neighbourhood.  In the summer, flowers from the garden are used to adorn the Chancel for Sunday worship.  The St. Hilary's Gardens continue to be a beacon of the goodness, beauty and diversity of God's creation amidst a busy intersection of Mississauga.  We also now have developed a Community Vegetable Garden with 14 plots used by members of the community to feed themselves.

 

The Story Continues...

St. Hilary's continues to worship God in the Anglican tradition, serve the community, and grow in an awareness of God's presence in our lives.

For information about exisiting Ministries, click here

  • The Rev’d Paul J. Walker was appointed the seventh Incumbent for St. Hilary's in June 2005.

To contact the clergy, please use the contact page.

 

Newsletter

For the latest St. Hilary's Newsletter, contact the parish office at 905-279-2304.